Posted by Quadrollin on Jan 4, 2018 7:24 am

Hey everyone my names Scott, I'm 24 and I am new to the forum. I had my accident almost a year ago to the date (1-14-17) when I crashed on my dirt bike. I miss judged a jump and went over the handle bars and landed on my head and broke my neck. As a result I'm a c3c4 complete quadriplegic and ventilator dependent. I am having a hard time with this situation because my injury could have potentially been avoided. I had protective gear when I ride and one of those was called a Leatt neck brace. I drove 2 hours to the track that day and when I got there I realized I forgot it, thought it was already in my gear bag. Since I forgot it and was already there I told myself I'll take it easy, which was the biggest mistake of my life. After I woke up from spinal fusion surgury I asked the hardest question I've ever asked, if I had been wearing my Leatt brace would this have happened. The answer I was gaven still plays in my head every day, which was more then likely not or not as severe. Just knowing that I basically did this to myself is the hardest part and makes most days a struggle. With my injury so high I have no movement or felling from the shoulders down so I'm not left with much to do but think a lot. However I am lucky to have a family that is supportive and motivate me to keep going everyday. I still have one friend left and he's been my best friend for years and he still comes over on weekends and calls me almost everyday just to talk and get my mind off things. I joined to learn and ask questions from others in the same position since I'm only a year and and still have plenty to learn. 

Re: Hello

Posted by Mi on Jan 7, 2018 10:27 pm

I was in a car accident 2 days after my 18th Birthday. C5,C6, C7 . Have a very supportive loving family. Mostly all my friends disappeared throughout the years and eventually we rekindle d I go between the two blames myself. I was in the backseat on someone's lap. We had the green light! If the other car never ran through the red i would still be walking. I know what you are going through.. Unfortunately it will 20 years this March and I still struggle with blame game. One thing I did come to terms with , is I finally admit to myself & others that I was piled in a car... Still I throw that curve ball that if the other vehicle never ran the red .. I would be ok today. Good luck with the blame game. I'm not religious person.. Don't forgive and never forget. Could be part of my problem. Just want to let you know you're not alone

Re: Hello

Posted by PC-Eastern-USA on Jan 11, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Quadrollin,
I can somewhat relate to your situation.  I was used to riding my 79 Suzuki 425L with a full-face helmet.  I lent my helmet to my brother so he could take his wife to NY where there was a helmet law.  I didn’t make it over to get my helmet back before going home one evening from working at UPS when a man who did not see me coming pulled out in front of me and I T-boned his car flying over the roof and crushing the right side of me head losing the site in my right eye and breaking my back at T4 complete.  I had wondered if I would have been in my situation if I had picked up my helmet and wore it during that time.  While in rehab there were other riders who happened to have tragic accidents.  One man who was wearing a full-face helmet ran into a back of a garbage truck.  Where he was messed up a bit with a broken arm and issues with an ankle he also suffered from swelling of his brain and which gave him some severe brain damage.  I would hear the nurses repeating questions like what day is it today, what time is it, etc.  He would answer in somewhat of a slur and often had to take time to answer or at times not at all.  I reflect on that time and remember what I felt where he could walk with some challenge due to his ankle injury but he could walk and I couldn’t.  At the same time, I have all my marbles and he didn’t so I was able to feel I was much better off than he was.  So much we think or feel is a matter of perspective.
I like you benefited and still do from being very close to my family and friends.  The Reeve peer mentors are trained to relate and understand from a person who has been there and can relate to a peer’s situation.  We have over 280 volunteer Reeve peer mentors across the nation and we match peers with peer mentors by many criteria but must important by age, gender and level of disability.  Mentoring is a great way to share with another person and benefit from their experiences.  If you would like to be matched with a peer mentor you can call 800-539-7309 or go online to https://www.christopherreeve.org/get-support/get-a-peer-mentor.
Todd A. Johnston 860-558-7384 Program Coordinator for Eastern United States Peer and Family Support Program Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation tjohnston@christopherreeve.org

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.