Hi, new member

Hi, new member

Posted by ihbap1288 on Jun 18, 2017 10:16 pm

Hello,

I was injured roughly 2 years ago (T11). I am just finding it hard to find my purpose now. I was 26 when I was hurt. I had friends and was in a casual relationship. But now, I feel like I have lost all of them (I'm still in contact, but it is definitely not the same). It seems that everytime I spend time with my friends, I'm reminded of the past and how my life used to be prior to the injury. Our mutual interests have changed, and we have drifted apart. I know a lot of it is my fault, but I just cannot find the motivation. In addition, I find it hard to meet new people (especially for dating).

I have been doing rehab on and off since I was hurt which is about the only thing I can find comfort in (working out takes my mind off things). I went back to work, but couldn't find the motivation to be successful in my profession. I just don't have the same drive as I did before my injury.

I guess I am still in somewhat of a shock from my injury and having a hard time adapting. Basically, I'm having a lot of trouble finding that purpose to motivate me. I have no family or any other reason for that drive. I had that before with friends and a profession as well as hobbies. I'm interested in volunteering (especially for disability causes), but I'm not sure how big of a help I would be due to my mental condition right now.

I'm not looking for a pity party or anything, but I cannot help my feelings and have no one I can discuss these feelings with (especially ones that understand). Is this normal?

Re: Hi, new member

Posted by SpinalCord.com on Jun 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi ihbap1288,

What you are going through is normal and the fact that you have identified the challengs you are facing is a very big first step to improving your quality of life. After an injury you go through various stages and in each stage priorities will shift this can lead to changes in the relationships you have. 

You can speak with a member of the Reeve team or http://spinalcord.com and find groups near you who gather for all kinds of different reasons! By engaging with these groups it can help raise your spirits which in turn gives you that drive you may feel is missing! Peer mentors and speaking with others who have gone through the same experience can also be helpful. 

You are normal, you are not alone.

Reach out directly either the Reeve foundation or our SpinalCord.com anytime to discuss and help find the resources which will help you. 

Posted by Bill on Jun 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi  ibhapp228,
My name is Bill Cawley and I from our peer program.  I am the Program Manager, for the Reeve Foundation's national peer mentoring program (The Peer & Family Support program).

I was injured in 1992 and I know how you feel.  It can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but I assure it is there.  Our peer mentors have been there as well and can help.  They can help you cope with the questions and issues by sharing their own experiences.
I encourage you to reach out to us.  I believe you will find it helpful.

If you want to learn more about the mentor program or talk to a mentor please email me at peer@christopherreeve.org.

Thanks and take care,
Bill

Posted by Bill on Jun 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi  ibhapp228,
My name is Bill Cawley and I from our peer program.  I am the Program Manager, for the Reeve Foundation's national peer mentoring program (The Peer & Family Support program).

I was injured in 1992 and I know how you feel.  It can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but I assure it is there.  Our peer mentors have been there as well and can help.  They can help you cope with the questions and issues by sharing their own experiences.
I encourage you to reach out to us.  I believe you will find it helpful.

If you want to learn more about the mentor program or talk to a mentor please email me at peer@christopherreeve.org.

Thanks and take care,
Bill

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.