Share with your friends:

Colostomy surgery to replace regular bowel regime

Colostomy surgery to replace regular bowel regime

Posted by Greg Hughes on Mar 1, 2014 3:58 pm

I was hoping to get feedback from anyone who has had this procedure done to know if it was found to be beneficial.

Re: Colostomy surgery to replace regular bowel regime

Posted by Becky on Mar 4, 2014 3:08 pm

Not personally...however, my 19-year-old nephew who suffered a TBI in a car accident did.  He was hospitalized so long that he was developing a severe pressure wound on his lower back.  The colosotmy was done to prevent further damage and infection to the wound.  Additionally, since he could not move himself very well...especially at that time, it was far easier for his hygiene and care. He is not yet able to walk due to muscle atrophy...working on it.  Two and a half years later he still has it and will until he regains enough strength and control to reverse it...if that is possible.  It is very convenient and he is used to it and easier psypchologically for him.  My work colleague has had one since his SCI at the age of 15.  He is in his 30s.  If I did not know him persoanlly, I would never have known it.  

Posted by Kristy on Mar 4, 2014 3:35 pm

It really depends on the reason you are considering a colostomy. It can work well to improve hygiene if you are bed-bound and especially if you have pressure sores on your bottom. However, if you are choosing this merely for convenience, it may be a bad idea. If you gave a little more detail about your situation and reasons for considering a colostomy, I could probably give you a better answer.

Posted by onespiffymom on Mar 4, 2014 7:12 pm

My husband has been a quadriplegic for 27 years, and we did the conventional bowel routine for 14 years prior to going to a colostomy. The program was taking 3+ hours each day, and he was starting to have increased bowel issues as a result. His stoma placement surgery went very well, and we've had no problems with it since that time. It was like we got our lives back. I would recommend meeting with an ostomy nurse to go over your options. They are very knowledgable in helping you see the pros and cons of getting a colostomy. In my husband's case, it was a great move. Good luck to you!

Posted by Geoff on Mar 4, 2014 11:27 pm

I persevered through 6 years of bowel care after my accident. It took up a lot of time, eventually caused considerable discomfort, often resulted in dysreflexia and I felt degraded every 2nd morning. My bowel routine ruled my calendar. In the end, I'd had enough. I investigated the prospect of colostomy surgery, just as you are doing. Just about everyone I spoke to who had a colostomy thought it was a vast improvement. 7 years after having my colostomy surgery, I totally agree. It takes 5 minutes to change a bag, usually twice a day. If necessary it can be changed at any time. Most people would never know you have a colostomy and accidents are extremely rare. The only problems I sometimes encounter are occasional, inadvertent farting sounds (can be embarrassing at the wrong time), and sometimes the bag can blow up like a balloon (no problem if someone can change it but causes a bulging belly if left unchecked).

Posted by palomino72 on Mar 5, 2014 1:15 am

Hello, I just wanted to tell you about my colostomy surgery. I have been in a wheelchair for 36 years now, and seven years ago the back of my wheelchair broke, and left me falling real hard on a concret floor. At first I thought I was ok, this was in September when I fell, and I am a T10-12, by January I was getting very up set with my self!  I could not control my bowels any longer, and every day I would get messy and have to clean up a couple times a day!!! For years I went to the bathroom over on the comode, and had every thing under control, I trained myself to potty just like before my accident. I then developed a wound on my backside, where I was starting to stay dirty so often, so I went to the doctor, and discovered when I fell, I broke a little piece of my tail bone, and it was coming through my bowel up inside of me, it ate a hole in my bowel, so in order for the wound to heal, I had to have a colostomy:(  I was really very upset at first, the nurses would try to help me, I was so embarrest at first, cause of course everyone knew about it. It was hard the first couple of years, I was really nervous that everyone I seen would know, or could see that I had one.  Now I am used to it, and it is more handy if you travel a  lot, my big thing was always trying to find a bathroom on the roads that I could get into and by myselfIt gets better, I just always change mine in the morning and the night time. There are all kinds of things you can get to help you feel better about it, like deodorant , sprays, the thing I like best is a support band, it keeps it close to your body, snug and it isn't hanging or getting in your way. It really was the best thing that I have found to make me feel better about the whole thing.  Other than my doctor and nurse, no one else has ever seen it, it is a private thing with me, not even my husband! lol We have been married for 40 years, and I take care of myself, it is easy, you will get the hang of it. Good luck with everything:))

Posted by charlotte415 on Mar 5, 2014 1:53 am

I had  a colostomy done in June 2013. No longer do I feel a slave to a horrible and long bowel program. I can't begin to express how happy I have been with my colostomy.
Sort:

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tags