Sediments In Urine

Sediments In Urine

Posted by Carey on May 30, 2013 6:46 pm

I have a lot of sediments build up in my urine.I current have a super pubic tube but I can not keep it from clogging up on a weekly bases. Does anyone know of any way to help me with this problem.

RE: Sediments In Urine

Posted by KGN on Jun 4, 2013 4:31 pm

I learned on this network that someone had written in that they used 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar in boiling water each morning for that urinary infiltrates, and my brother, who also has a suprapubic catheter, has gotten great results with that in about a week and a half. It has been amazing results as long as he stays away from caffeine and sugary drinks. Best of luck!

Posted by KGN on Jun 4, 2013 4:33 pm

Or you could have tiny kidney stones trying to pass that are clogging up the tube...could that be a possibility?

Posted by steve on Jun 5, 2013 6:05 pm

My wife does a teaspoon of cream of tartar in water every day, and it seems to keep not just clogging but UTI away. Seems it makes for a good pH balance, which is usually the source of stones, sediment, etc. We foudn that in a discussion on the CareCure forum.

Oh- and we ordered ALL of the other crap they put on the internet to try to help- none of it worked until we went to the cream of Tartar- available in the grocery store in the bakery section, or on the spices racks.

Posted by Carey on Jun 5, 2013 7:06 pm

Stephen thank you so much I will let you know how it works.

Posted by Joseph Groh on Jun 6, 2013 11:55 am

What has your urologist said about this?  I assume she drinks it?  What does it taste like?  Dumb questions perhaps, but I also have a suprapubic catheter and have the same issues.  If I drink a lot of water that seems to help, and we flush my catheter every day.

Posted by KGN on Jun 6, 2013 1:32 pm

I haven\'t been able to get my brother an appointment with his uro doc at a recent date, so I thought I\'d try the cream of tartar I read about. He said he can\'t really describe the taste but it\'s not bad, he says. He\'s been drinking it every morning and his urine has definitely shown a great improvement. Best of luck to you, and have a nice day!

Posted by steve on Jun 6, 2013 2:36 pm

The Urologist had never heard of it, but has now started recommending it to others. He says that it seems to be working, because he doesn't have to deal with infections as often. His attitude is whatever works is good.

The stuff tastes like crap- kind of like aspirin is the closest I can come. But, yes we put it in a cup of hot water, and it doesn't seem to really dissolve well. But its worth it.

Note that flushing the catheter is another potential source for infection- we do that only as a last resort and simply change the catheter if it gets plugged for whatever reason. She uses a FR18 in her suprapubic tube. We keep lots of spares around- usually ordering them byt the dozen. She uses a silastic (green) catheter because we've discovered that long exposure to butyl rubber will eventually cause an alergic reaction. And she was starting to get red spots from it. We tried the silicon (clear or blue) kind, but they seemed to plug a lot- but then that was before we discovered the cream of Tartar.

One other thing I would recommend is a leg bag holder that we found from Bruce medical that holds the bag in a pocket on the leg rather than using the straps. It leaves no strap marks- it is like a sleeve that goes on the leg, and also helps with compression as it is elastic. It has a sleeve with a pocket for the bag, and we have grown attached- order those by the dozen also. As for leg bags, we use the Holister 32 ounce. It has a lever- which makes it easy to see if it is open or closed, and thus prevent leakage. As opposed to the type that you turn to empty.

Hope some of this helps.

Posted by Joseph Groh on Jun 6, 2013 7:48 pm

I read a couple of things online and one said to put a teaspoon of lemon juice in the water with cream of tartar, and another said to mix some sugar in the water with the cream of tartar.  We will play around with that, as I hear it tastes pretty sour and at the very least, not very good.

As a thought, is there any value to sprinkling some on food or would that just ruin the food?  Also, doesn't this have the same chemical effect on the bladder as drinking cranberry/taking cranberry pills?

Posted by steve on Jun 7, 2013 1:02 am

We tried all the cranberry stuff. Even ordered the special online secret recipes that cost me $20 to get. None of that stuff worked. The Tartar is not that bad. we just do it straight in about 4 oz of water and get it over with. I think to get the same effect from cranberries, you'd have to drink about 5 gallons.

Posted by SEEANDBESAFE.COM on Jun 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Carey,

As long as you are sitting and inactive there will always be sediment in your urine.  Even able bodies have sediment in their urine.  But as we walk we are constantly bouncing it around and stirring it up so it doesn't settle.  In our case it has a chance to settle and you notice it.  The only cure for reducing sediment is drinking plenty of water.  If you have standing frame then standing will help drain it.  

Re: Sediments In Urine

Posted by Claude Gerstle on Sep 11, 2014 11:47 am

I've have a suprapubic for 11 years and have needed treatment for urinary tract infection about four times. I take 1000 mg of vitamin C once or twice a day to help acidify my urine. Once a day I irrigate might catheter with 1/4% acetic acid solution using a 70 mL irrigation bulb syringe irrigating the solution in and out twice and repeating this three times (210 mL). With a prescription you can get the solution all made up in 1000 mL bottles or you can make your own deluding white vinegar  20-1. Alternatively you can irrigate with Clorox  diluted  10-1  (modified Dakin solution). I change my catheter every six weeks.

I use an extension tube and change it as needed. I use a new night bag and leg bag each day which is expensive but I feel worth it for me

Posted by SpearJanis on Jul 30, 2017 2:14 pm

My husband also has a suprapubic, and from time to time he also gets sediments.  Thankfully, this has not been a problem got us so far.  Our Doc did say that while things like cranberry (which is very expensive) does seem to work for some, but there is not much you can really do except drink at least 2 litres of water a day.  She did mention that taking vitamin C can help as this keeps the ph slightly acidic.

I see that some here opt to change the leg bag frequently, and I think we will ahve to go this route as well.

Posted by RickUpch on Jul 31, 2017 10:31 am

Steve,

We are fairly new to this and you mentioned some products below that sound like something we should try.  Can you give me the order details for these?  My wife was paralyzed last June and had the suprapubic catheter placed last December.  

She uses a silastic (green) catheter because we've discovered that long exposure to butyl rubber will eventually cause an alergic reaction. And she was starting to get red spots from it. We tried the silicon (clear or blue) kind, but they seemed to plug a lot- but then that was before we discovered the cream of Tartar.

One other thing I would recommend is a leg bag holder that we found from Bruce medical that holds the bag in a pocket on the leg rather than using the straps. It leaves no strap marks- it is like a sleeve that goes on the leg, and also helps with compression as it is elastic. It has a sleeve with a pocket for the bag, and we have grown attached- order those by the dozen also.

Posted by Marney on Sep 5, 2017 10:26 pm

Some one mentioned they use a new night bag & leg bag each day,. I thought the idea of a suprapubic was so you didnt need a bag? hum I really need to do nore reasearch on this, my urologist has mentioned this or to do  a mitronoff procedure due to having so many UTI's.  Having trouble transferring onto toilet & now reaching peri area to do intermittant caths due to scolosis & rods in my back. hum

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.