Heterotopic Ossification

Heterotopic Ossification

Posted by jaylav on Oct 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Hello all
My brother is T11 complete paraplegic,  I am trying to find a Doctor that deals with Heterotopic Ossification (HO). Has anyone else had this problem.  My brother had surgery on his, but it grew back and it is now worse than before, it is on his thigh and growing up to his hip. We really need to find him a Doctor that specializes in this ASAP. Thank you for whatever help you can provide

RE: Heterotopic Ossification

Posted by Susan_1964135 on Mar 29, 2012 10:51 pm

My husband, C4 incomplete injured in late 2002, had surgery for severe heterotopic ossification in 2005 - two separate hip re-sections.  They removed a lot of bone.  Before the surgery he had issues with sitting correctly in his chair - always was slumping.  Had great trouble with bending legs/hips.  He had great relief with the surgery - almost immediately.  It has not grown back to date to any degree.  The surgery has its risks - it is very bloody surgery and he had allergic reactions during the surgery - possibly to the blood that was donated and used.  But all turned out fine.  The surgery was done at UMDNJ - Newark.  Dr. Mark Reilly - in an ortho group right by the hospital.  We had visited Thomas JEfferson in Phila. - no one there at the time.  Were told that only a couple surgeons in the country will do this.  If we can answer any more questions, let me know. 

Re: Heterotopic Ossification

Posted by Kev on Aug 4, 2017 6:47 am

Hi, I'm a paraplegic(T8/T9) and developed HO in both hips. My injury date was October 2016 and I started noticing loss of range of motion late December. My doctor put me on Etidronate for 12 weeks to slow down the growth but I believe in my case it was too late. This problem has stopped me from doing so much such as putting on clothes or shoes, bending over, picking things up off the floor, exercising my legs, sitting properly in a wheelchair without being slouched, lower back pain, and more. I seen a surgeon and he said mine is the worse he has seen. He said he's going to present my issue at a conference with other surgeons to see what's the best solution and he'll see me again October 2017. He stated that surgery is very risky. At this point, I don't have a choice but to get surgery because I literally can't do anything and it's effecting my chance of recovery and daily living. I live in St. Louis, MO and the surgeon I've seen so far is Dr Ryan Nunley, Washington University Orthopedics. I am very scared and nervous about this surgery and I'll have to have 2. I just pray that I can get surgery and it is successful and safe without any problems. How was your husband's range of motion after surgery and how long was the procedure and stay at the hospital? Thank You

Posted by Kev on Aug 4, 2017 6:49 am

"Kev:
Hi, I'm a paraplegic(T8/T9) and developed HO in both hips. My injury date was October 2016 and I started noticing loss of range of motion late December. My doctor put me on Etidronate for 12 weeks to slow down the growth but I believe in my case it was too late. This problem has stopped me from doing so much such as putting on clothes or shoes, bending over, picking things up off the floor, exercising my legs, sitting properly in a wheelchair without being slouched, lower back pain, and more. I seen a surgeon and he said mine is the worse he has seen. He said he's going to present my issue at a conference with other surgeons to see what's the best solution and he'll see me again October 2017. He stated that surgery is very risky. At this point, I don't have a choice but to get surgery because I literally can't do anything and it's effecting my chance of recovery and daily living. I live in St. Louis, MO and the surgeon I've seen so far is Dr Ryan Nunley, Washington University Orthopedics. I am very scared and nervous about this surgery and I'll have to have 2. I just pray that I can get surgery and it is successful and safe without any problems. How was your husband's range of motion after surgery and how long was the procedure and stay at the hospital? Thank You "

Posted by Kev on Aug 4, 2017 6:54 am

Hi, I had a few questions. First, I'm glad your husband was able to overcome the HO. It has me very stressed. Do your husband have Ho on both hips? How long was the procedure? How long was his stay at the hospital after surgery and did he attend rehab after surgery? Thank you

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tags