beds for quads

beds for quads

Posted by wearywife on Jun 26, 2015 9:04 pm

We are shopping for a bed that will turn the patient automatically at regularly set intervals and also will go into an armchair position.  Have any of you used this type of bed  and do you know anything about the various available brands?  My husband is a patient in a rehab hospital and does not get turned as often as he needs.  He waits too long sometimes for his call light to be answered is kept waiting until the pain is rather unbearable.  Cost is not an issue since there is a trustfund for this kind of thing.  Are some more easy to operate than others?  .We rented a Hill-Rom bed but its controls are too easily bumped and accidentally changed by caregivers.  My husband is a quad with his sense of feel intact.  He has been paralyzed from Guillaine Barre for nine years and is paralyzed literally from head to toe, even his face and tongue are partially paralyzed.

Re: beds for quads

Posted by Bill on Jul 1, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi wearywife,

My name is Bill Cawley and I am the program manager for the Peer & Family Support Program, our national peer mentoring program.  I have shared your post with our peer mentors to see if they have any suggestions for you and the bed situation.  I wanted to also mention that we have over 400 certified peer mentors across the country.  They help both people living with paralysis and those that care for them.  If you or your husband want to talk to a mentor on this topic or others pls. just let me know.

We will certainly share any bed suggestions from our mentors.

Take care,
Bill 

Re: beds for quads

Posted by Bill on Jul 10, 2015 10:37 am

Hello again,

I wanted to follow back-up on my post.  A number of our peer mentors responded when I shared your post however they use the same bed.  One did suggest the Freedom Bed.  Have you heard/ tried it?  Here is the link from their post- I did find "The Freedom Bed" just now online. Hope it will work out for what you are looking for. 
http://www.pro-bed.com/products/benefits.html

Please let us know if it helps.  I also wanted to let you know if you or your husband ever want to talk to a peer mentor about beds or any topic please just let me know.

Take care,
Bill

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tags