Reimbursement for spousal caregivers

Reimbursement for spousal caregivers

Posted by JOLA B. on Jan 29, 2014 6:38 pm

I have been taking care of my husband, who is quadriplegic, for almost 9 years. Due to that I had not been able to work, since my husband requires 24 hr care. Here, in CT, we have a Medicaid PCA Waiver program that pays for caregivers for couples of hours a day , but spouses are excluded from reimbursement. He can hire any stranger to take care of him, but why, if he has me, a person who loves him and would do anything for him. Yet, this is making our financial situation worse. I have no idea why the government does not recognize and support those who care the most. I was just wondering if anybody out there has to deal with a similar issue. Does anybody know of any groups that advocate for a legislative change in policy regarding this problem? I am looking forward to responses to this post. Thank you .

Re: Reimbursement for spousal caregivers

Posted by Brandie38 on Dec 6, 2015 6:43 pm

I am now in the same situation here in KY. My husband is a C5 incomplete and I'm his caregiver. I cant return to work. We have a waiver program that I would qualify for but, if I did it then Medicaid will stop paying for his outpatient therapy at Frazier and then we would have to private pay that which, we cant. So, I feel completely stuck.........

Re: Reimbursement for spousal caregivers

Posted by Jenn on Jan 6, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi Jola,

Payment for family caregivers can be a challenge and payment for family caregivers varies great from state to state. You may want to connect with an advocacy group in your state to address your concerns as well as state based caregiving organizations. Listed below are link to some factsheet off or our website including the state document for Kentucky.

Kentucky State Resources
Kentucky Protection and Advocacy Office for Public Advocacy Division for P&A 100 Fair Oaks Lane 3rd Floor Frankfort, KY 40601 Phone: 502-564-2967 TDD: 1-800-372-2988

Kentucky Client Assistance Program (CAP) 275 East Main Street, 2nd Floor Mail Stop 2EJ Frankfort, KY 40601 Phone: 502-564-8035, 502-316-9363 or 800-633-6283

Speaking to one of our Caregiver peer mentors may be helpful as well through our Peer and Family Support Program. The Peer & Family Support Program (PFSP) is the Reeve Foundation’s national peer to peer mentoring program. The goal of PFSP is to provide critical emotional support, as well as, local and national information and resources to people living with paralysis, and their families and caregivers.

Any additional question please reach out to the Resource Center 1-800-539-7309.

Take Care 

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.