For all SCI caregivers to read

RE: For all SCI caregivers to read

Posted by Terrie on Mar 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Jeanne,
Chris has about 85% use of arms and hands.  He will enter a mini van via a ramp, the drivers seat swivels, he will transfer into the seat and use hand controls to drive.  We know a couple of guys with less function than my son who drive from their power chairs.  Hope this info helps.  Chris can't wait to drive.  This will really give him back some independence.  

Terrie

Posted by jeanne_2139313 on Mar 12, 2013 5:11 am

Thanks Terrie,  I passed the info along and hope it gives hope!  Congrats to your son's 85%  what an amazing number!  We do learn baby steps are magnificient mountains when it comes to a sci!  Jeanne

Posted by JOLA B. on Jan 30, 2014 8:15 am

I thought I was the only one carrying a wrench and a screwdriver in my purse....  I love your post/ poem.  As  wife of a quad I can totally relate to it, as a matter of fact it feels like someone just described my day... awesome!

Re: RE: For all SCI caregivers to read

Posted by Jean5 on May 5, 2014 5:39 pm

My son has an incomplete injury, has gone through driver's ed, uses a left foot accelerator pedal and spinner knob. However he hates driving, doesn't want to practice, doesn't want his license.

His injury is from a car wreck. Perhaps that is why....

mom of a Brown-Sequard C4-5

Re: For all SCI caregivers to read

Posted by Neecee on Jun 28, 2014 12:18 am

So heartfelt.  I feel like it was me writing this poem.  I have also expressed my experiences via blog.  It's been so therapeutic.  Thanks for sharing.
-Denise 
www.hopelovelive.com
Denise Stephens

Posted by Community Admin on Jul 8, 2014 11:58 am

Dr. Dan Gottlieb is our resident family psychologist who is living with quadriplegia.

He's live in the Healing the Heart and Mind discussion category of this community every Wednesday from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM ET. This discussion also includes SCI caregivers.

Link: http://www.spinalcordinjury-paralysis.org/forums/viewcategory/3343

It's a very active discussion and you'll receive replies quickly here!

Thanks for posting!

Julie
Reeve Foundation Web Manager

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter YouTube Google+ LinkedIn Reeve Foundation Community Join our community.

Posted by PurpleBearMom on Jan 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Thank you so much. As a new caregiver this was an awesome thing for me to read!! And I will check out your blog. Any other tips or suggestions are so very much welcome and appreciated....from anyone☺

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tags