well-being. We all want it, but how to get there?

well-being. We all want it, but how to get there?

Posted by Dan Gottlieb on Apr 20, 2016 4:51 pm

well-being is the experience of being comfortable inside your own skin at any given moment. It's the experience of feeling safe and rested. A feeling that you don't have to go anywhere or do anything in order to feel okay.

Well-being is not accomplishing the next big goal or receiving a bunch of compliments for what you have achieved.. Both feel great but are not the same as well-being.

Well-being is the feeling that comes after having a difficult day and arriving home and seeing your child or lover smile at you. It's the feeling that you feel after a big exhale and your body rests.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about when you experience well-being and how you got there.

Let's start the discussion
Dr. Dan

www.DrDanGottlieb.com

Re: well-being. We all want it, but how to get there?

Posted by jaimeculpepper on Apr 23, 2016 2:34 am

Thanks for this positive message. Now I have got to know the true meaning of well being.

Posted by Lorri on Apr 26, 2016 11:49 am

Yes, thank you Dan! This is a great message!!!!
Lorri
Lorri J Taylor

Posted by Dan Gottlieb on Apr 27, 2016 12:36 pm

More about well-being and steps to begin the process:

most of us fight with our demons much of our lives. We fight with our history or injustice or we fight with our bodies. But deep down we know we can never win these battles, but that doesn't stop us from battling.

Peace doesn't come from winning battles or even wars. Peace comes when we stop fighting. It happens when we give up these battles, take a deep breath and begin living the lives we have instead of living no lives we want or once had or feel we deserve.

Of course, that's easier said than done. But it starts with one deep breath and a big exhalation in which the whole body just let's go of everything and we sink into our chairs a little further. And somehow we realize that at this very moment, we don't have to do anything or accomplish anything. We don't have to prove anything to anyone or plan for the future. In this moment we can rest and we are safe.

Practice practice practice and eventually we teach our bodies/minds that we don't need to fight these demons, we just need to acknowledge their presence and realize they cannot hurt us.

A major first step towards being comfortable inside our skin.

and although I appreciate the comments, I really would love to hear your thoughts about what well-being means to you and what you feel you need to get there.
Dr.Dan

Daniel Gottlieb Ph.D.
DrDanGottlieb1946@gmail.com
www.DrDanGottlieb.com

www.DrDanGottlieb.com

Posted by Theycallmenemo on Jul 30, 2016 6:36 pm

One thing that comes to mind is learning to stop saying "I'm sorry", stop apologizing for things that you need. Like since my paralysis, I have found that I need more rest, more breaks, more spreading things out. I need a slower pace and people around me who aren't in such a rush. 

I also need to accept that most people are very willing to accommodate that experience and even participate at that need slower speed with me. And I need to realize that the ones who can't slow down to be with me... Well I need to let them go. 

Posted by Dan Gottlieb on Aug 23, 2016 12:09 pm

What great wisdom. We actually give the other person a gift when we ask for help. I learned that shortly after my accident when I felt such despair and someone asked me to help them. Little did they know that request changed my life.

You are correct in that when we take ownership of our lives without shame or self-pity, everything got so much easier. It's so much easier to be who we are rather than trying to be who we think we should be or trying to be who we once were. That doesn't work for any human-paralyzed or not.

You are a great teacher.
Dan
www.DrDanGottlieb.com

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tags