Recent SCI & I really need help

Recent SCI & I really need help

Posted by MariaS29 on Jun 19, 2017 4:36 pm

My accident was this past October 25th, 2016. 34 single female with no children. I'm finally going to start outpatient the end of this month at Magee Rehab in Philadelphia and I recently got my wheelchair. So I'm out of the tank /loaner and that's about the extent of my positive in my life right now. Everything imaginable has gone wrong and has been one big nightmare since my accident. Medical care, medical supplies, i have family issues, housing, legal, emotional and mental health, like I said I'm finally lined up with a good rehab facility but it is in jeopardy due to a long history of family problems (love /hate toxic love) and my injury has only made it more complicated. I need help but this is all overwhelming, even the amount of support and sources is overwhelming. I don't know where to start.

Re: Recent SCI & I really need help

Posted by Dan Gottlieb on Jun 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Maria,
I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through at so many levels.  I'm Dan Gottlieb and a psychologist who is a contractor with the Reeve foundation.  I'm also a quadriplegic in the Philadelphia area who did his rehab at Magee also!

I would hope social service at Magee would be able to refer you to a therapist in the area and would also be able to help you figure out insurance, medical supplies and the like.  I would recommend you are getting a therapist for yourself and then meeting with your family to try to heal some of those historical wounds.

If you cannot get a recommendation from the social worker at Magee, please feel free to contact me and I will see if I can make a recommendation.
DrDanGottlieb1946@Gmail.com

if I don't hear from you, I sure hope things settle down for you sooner rather than later so that you can resume living your life.

Please take care
Dan
www.DrDanGottlieb.com

Posted by Bill on Jun 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi Maria,

My name is Bill Cawley, I am the Program Manager, for the Reeve Foundation's national peer mentoring program (The Peer & Family Support program).

I was injured in 1992 and I know how you feel.  It can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but I assure it is there.  I like Dr. Dan live in the Philly area and have my doctors at Magee.  Our program's volunteer peer mentors have faced, dealt and overcome the issues you shared and many more.  I believe our mentors are equipped to help you because they have shared experiences and have been where you are right now.  

I encourage you to reach out to us.  I believe you will find it helpful.

If you want to learn more about the mentor program or talk to a mentor please email me at peer@christopherreeve.org.

Thanks and take care,
Bill

Posted by SpearJanis on Jul 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi Maria

I am Janis Spear, the wife of a C5 incomplete quad who just came home from rehab 3 days ago.  I am in South Africa, so it may be different here, but I would say you can go ahead and ask for help at the rehab.  As I understand it, they have a whole team to help you navigate through the process, and in our experience, this includes access to social workers, clinical phycologists, and therapists.  Your mental health and wellbeing is as important as your physical wellbeing, and I am sure they will also want to work with you on that. If you need help with relationships issues, I am sure you can mention all your challenges to your team contact point.  If you don't know who that is, ask your physical therapist to help guide you.  it is also our experience that the rehab can perhaps help you or point you in the direction of help for legal issues.

I would also recomment reaching out to the resources here at the Foundation - they can be extremely useful, and they are willing to help if you ask.

Good luck with your journey.

Posted by Aaliyah on Sep 12, 2017 4:18 am

I am sorry about your condition but I can only pray for you and suggest you to never loose hope.
Aaliyah

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tags