Vacation

Vacation

Posted by TJ14 on Sep 3, 2015 1:21 pm

When I was first injured, several questions ran through my mind. Besides the overwhelming every day activities which I knew would change my life forever, one question I always had was: could I ever go on an enjoyable vacation like I used to before I was paralyzed?  In my 25 years of being paralyzed, I realized that while I am in a wheelchair, I can still have amazing affordable vacations.  My favorite kind of vacation by far has been going on cruises. I have been on four cruises and recently went on my fifth, where I got married on an Alaskan cruise.

The great thing about going on a cruise if you're in a wheelchair is that everything is accessible. It's like a huge floating city with  all kinds of activities you can do such as shows, restaurants, and bars for those of age.  Cruise lines give extensive details in what they will offer you from accessible cabins, roll in showers, and accessible excursions.  Let's face it, when you are disabled several things can go against you, but going on a cruise allows some things to work in your favor, especially when it comes to cost. When you pay for your cabin, the majority of the time it's always bigger than the average person's because of the cabin being wheelchair accessible. On my cruise, I got a mini suite for my fiancé and I and its only 60 sq. ft smaller than the deluxe suite on the ship, and we're getting it for $3,000 less than the top of the line suite, not to mention all our meals are included with the cost of the trip.

Cruise lines now also have a dedicated company for individuals living with disabilities to rent equipment that they will drop off and pick up at your boarding dock. This is extremely convenient in case you have to fly to get to your cruise line. You will not have to worry about bringing equipment such as a, shower chair, powered scooters, Hoyer lifts, shower wheelchairs, adjustable beds, and pretty much any equipment you think that'll make your vacation easier, they can provide.

So this Summer or next Fall, if you're looking at taking a vacation and want to try something new and exciting, I recommend wholeheartedly thinking of going on a cruise. I promise you will not regret the decision. There is something comforting knowing you won't have to worry about what locations or activities are accessible as you explore what the world has to offer.

TJ Griffin
Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation
Peer Mentor Program Coordinator
817-360-6869
tjgriffin@christopherreeve.org

Re: Vacation

Posted by davids on May 29, 2017 1:40 am

The idea of taking a vacation is a current innovation, and has created through the most recent two centuries. Historically, the idea of travel for write my assignment recreation was a luxury that lone well off people could manage (see Grand Tour).

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.