Strange sensations

Strange sensations

Posted by Waianaesara on Nov 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi. I broke my neck in two places a little over a year ago and have spinal cord injury which required 18 screws and two metal plates to hold my head on! I have a really weird sensation I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before. My torso, below my breasts down to the tops of my legs isn't just numb... It feels like I'm wearing a very tight girdle that is getting squeezed tighter and tighter. I want to know what causes this feeling and will it ever go away???

Re: Strange sensations

Posted by AskNurseLinda on Nov 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Great question as many individuals with SCI have strange sensations. Typically, it is thought that most people with complete injuries or those with no messages getting through, feel nothing. Individuals with incomplete injuries might feel some areas of their body or have different sort of sensations. Those who have spinal cord injury know that this is not the case for everyone as each injury is unique and each person is unique. 

Sensations can vary from just feeling odd to messages that are referred or redirected from one area to another. Odd sensations to the person can be a little scary but to the healthcare professional, we know a message is getting through although it might not be relayed in such a way that is helpful.

Sometimes, sensations that cause irritation or pain can actually be nerves that are transmitting pain signals that are not perceived in the same way as pain was felt prior to your injury. The statement that these feelings are tightening can be pain, anxiety or a combination. I would think that any tightening or constricting pain would raise my anxiety. 

Probably, the best course of action is to discuss the possibility of neuropathic pain with your healthcare provider who can make an assessment of your individual status. Treatment is available for neuropathic pain. It is better to treat it early than to wait until later if it develops fully. Or pain might not be the problem at all.

A good examination can eliminate a lot of alternatives such as cardiac problems or issues within your body such as gall bladder attack or appendicitis. The more problems you can eliminate, the easier it will be to specify the issue. Of course, it could be something like a urinary tract infection, bowel problem or blood clots. At least with a good assessment, you will know your health status is well and you don't have these issues which will help to narrow the source of your odd sensations.

The important part of this puzzle to remember is that it is not at all unusual to have odd sensations. This is one of those not often discussed phenomena that is very real. Do not doubt yourself. Nurse Linda

Great question as many individuals with SCI have strange sensations. Typically, it is thought that most people with complete injuries or those with no messages getting through, feel nothing. Individuals with incomplete injuries might feel some areas of their body or have different sort of sensations. Those who have spinal cord injury know that this is not the case for everyone as each injury is unique and each person is unique. 

Sensations can vary from just feeling odd to messages that are referred or redirected from one area to another. Odd sensations to the person can be a little scary but to the healthcare professional, we know a message is getting through although it might not be relayed in such a way that is helpful.

Sometimes, sensations that cause irritation or pain can actually be nerves that are transmitting pain signals that are not perceived in the same way as pain was felt prior to your injury. The statement that these feelings are tightening can be pain, anxiety or a combination. I would think that any tightening or constricting pain would raise my anxiety. 

Probably, the best course of action is to discuss the possibility of neuropathic pain with your healthcare provider who can make an assessment of your individual status. Treatment is available for neuropathic pain. It is better to treat it early than to wait until later if it develops fully. Or pain might not be the problem at all.

A good examination can eliminate a lot of alternatives such as cardiac problems or issues within your body such as gall bladder attack or appendicitis. The more problems you can eliminate, the easier it will be to specify the issue. Of course, it could be something like a urinary tract infection, bowel problem or blood clots. At least with a good assessment, you will know your health status is well and you don't have these issues which will help to narrow the source of your odd sensations.

The important part of this puzzle to remember is that it is not at all unusual to have odd sensations. This is one of those not often discussed phenomena that is very real. Do not doubt yourself. Nurse Linda

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tags