SCI and UTI's

SCI and UTI's

Posted by Jenn on Nov 5, 2018 10:32 am

For Nurse Linda: will a UTI clear up on its own? I have few symptoms but I suspected one. I already had an apt. scheduled with my urologist so thought I’d wait. Unfortunately the Dr. was I’ll so the apt. was rescheduled. The symptoms I do have seem to be going away. Would the UTI clear up in its own. Getting to a Dr. is challenging. 
1) Stronger odor and 2)more cloudiness - both I realize include a wide range. That’s why it’s difficult to know when to go to a doctor and whether infections can clear up on their own.

Thank you. 

Re: SCI and UTI's

Posted by AskNurseLinda on Nov 5, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi, Jenn, I am glad you asked this question. No, the UTI will not clear on its own. Once the bacteria is there, it will multiply and grow. The best course of action is to get a urine sample to your primary care doctor so you can begin treatment. Catching a UTI early is important as it is easier to treat. Starting antibiotics will help at your urology appointment as you will be improving rather than treating an infection that can spread and be more difficult to treat.

Some people think they have cleared a UTI with increased fluids or other remedies. This is just not so. UTIs can have symptoms but then go silent even though the bacteria is still there and still multiplying. Best to get on top of it. Nurse Linda

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tags