Healing time for Suprapubic catheter hole

Healing time for Suprapubic catheter hole

Posted by SpearJanis on Nov 28, 2017 10:53 am

Hi Nurse Linda

My husband had his suprapubic done I think about 5 months ago.  There is still, from time to time, a very small amount blood from what looks like the smallest tear/rip or perhaps skin tag that bleeds every so slightly.  I notice this when I clean the site every day (morning and night) with normal saline and apply the ointment prescribed by the Doc.   I wondered if it was a problem that it is not completley healed yet.

I know there is some movement on the catheter itself, even though it is held in place with a stat lock to prevent pulling, but I wonder if I should go see the Doctor to make sure?  Perhaps it is just caused by the movement during transfers, and perhaps we need to look at a better placement of the stat lock and catheter tube? 

Thanks again, and have a lovely evening.

Re: Healing time for Suprapubic catheter hole

Posted by AskNurseLinda on Nov 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi, Janis. This is an interesting question. It does, rarely but sometimes, take a while for the suprapubic to form a scar. An opening has been created where the body does not think it should be. Even a slight movement of the catheter can irritate things. You have already identified these issues.

On the other hand, an opening in the skin or scar area can let in bacteria which can lead to problems. You are doing a great job in handling this however, I would have to error on the side of caution and report this to the doctor’s office that did the surgery. The surgeon is responsible until the wound is closed. My suspicions are that they will want to watch it but I am not there with you seeing it. Call the doctor and follow their advice with treatment or if they want you to come in. I know you are already doing this but safety is a must even with just a tiny opening in the skin. I think this is a good reminder for everyone. Nurse Linda

Tag Topic

Subscribe to Topic

Would you like to be notified of updates to this Discussion Topic? Subscribe and you'll receive email updates of new posts.

Tags