This is where the staff of the Reeve Foundation is sharing up-to-the-minute information and putting some context around the news affecting the spinal cord injury and paralysis community. Not to mention insight into what's going on here at the Foundation.
Feel free to comment and offer suggestions. We'll respond.
Please join Gary Karp on Thursday, February 23 at 1pm EST (that's tomorrow!) for a free webinar on disability etiquette. Here's all the info:
Many people find themselves uncomfortable when they encounter a person with an apparent disability. "What do I say?," they wonder. "What do I do?!"
Not to worry. You don't really have to say or do much different than you would for anyone else! Disability etiquette is not about "sensitivity." It's about worrying less about disability, focusing more on the person.
That's how everyone can relax and get the job done! Key points Gary will cover:
• People with disabilities are people, not their disabilities.
• They treasure their independence: don't worry so much about helping!
• They are experts at living with their disabilities: even though it looks hard to you.
• Disability language: not a long list to memorize!
• The three principles will cover your for the lion's share of situations.
Join our community.